1. A little bit of physical activity alone can increase life expectancy. Physical activity can curb major causes of death and ill-health like cancer and cardiovascular disease.
2. Eat five portions of fruit and a vegetable in a day or stop smoking and the impact can be even greater. Even one additional serving of fruit or a vegetable would increase your chances of staying alive longer.
3. A moderate amount of exercise at work would increase your chances of staying alive longer.
4. A moderate amount of exercise at work and during leisure time can add up to at least three extra years to your life. Taken together with improved diet , increased physical activity and no smoking could add up to 11-12 years to an individual’s life expectancy.
5. Reducing the amount of oil and salt intake in one’s diets also plays an important role. Avoid food that tastes better with more salt.